Although history implies that bowls was played in Bedale as long ago as 1772, the original site was presented by Sir Henry Peirse in 1791. The area given was derelict and must have taken at least a year to prepare for bowling, hence our established date of 1792.
The centenary of the club was a huge milestone and in 1899 the club changed it's name to the present Bedale Bowling Green Society. However it took about another 20 years before ladies were invited to watch the gentlemen at play and a further 50 years before any member of the Society was allowed to play on a Sunday and then only after 1pm.(presumably to allow for attending church in the morning)
In 1990 it was agreed to entirely re-shape and level the green. The shape of the site prevents a full-sized square but this in itself only emphasises the unique atmosphere of the club.
The year 2000 marked the biggest investment yet seen in this pretty little corner of Wycar. The Arbour, as the first 'clubhouse' became known was to be enhanced by a brand new, purpose built and designed clubhouse.
With financial support from the Sports Council, Hambleton District Council, Bedale Town Council, the National Lottery and not forgetting the many members who offered interest free loans to the project (all of which were re-paid within the agreed time limit). Fund raising activities also boosted the project which raised in total £125,000.
While recognising the long history of Bedale Bowling Green Society, the club members are proud that the original benefactor Henry Peirse continues to be represented by the present President, Sir Henry Beresford-Peirse.
Next to face development was the old machine store and after much fundraising and grants, the new machinery store was officially opened by the Mayor of Bedale, Councillor Malcolm Young in the presence of the club President, Sir Henry Beresford-Peirse on Sunday 4th June 2006.
There was never enough space for visitor changing, especially if the weather was a touch inclement (this is Yorkshire when all's said and done), so a new wooden building was errected.
The Club continues to keep pace with technology with a new watering system being purchased. A brand new defibrillator has also been purchased and members trained in it's operation. (one which we hope that we never have to use).